Friday, June 7, 2013

June 7, 2013 - The day we had supper with missionary's...

Today was a relatively slow day, but it was a good one.

We woke up this morning, and were all exhausted.  Eli had woken up quite early again today, and was his little bundle of energy again.  We played with him, and had him watch a bit of the "Cars" movie, and then it was time for his nap.  He wasn't thrilled about the nap today, but after about 15 minutes of rolling around, and trying his hardest to stay awake, he was fast asleep.  Hilary and I also caught some shut-eye while he slept.  We woke him up around 11, and so he and I played with his toys for a bit, and threw around his beach ball.  We had lunch at 12:30 (KD for Hilary and I, and noodles for Eli).  After lunch, we tried putting him on the toilet with his potty seat.  He was not happy about it, but seemed relatively comfortable enough with it.  After this, we put him back down for a nap.  This was not a very successful attempt.  He lay there for 2.5 hours, and did not sleep one iota.  He rolled around like crazy, and even with several attempts to sleep with us in bed with him, there was no sleeping for this little boy.  We were a little nervous about how cranky he would be in the evening, as we anticipated a bit of a later evening for him than normal.

At any rate, we were picked up by our driver at 3:00, and we headed out to go shopping for some sandals for me.  Sadly, the sandals that I had brought from Canada, had been destroyed yesterday by the road work they are currently doing on Bole Road.  I had gone shopping for some coke and water yesterday, and on my way to the store, I walked on the street.  It was just after a rain, so I did not realize that they had just tarred the street, or whatever they do when they are re-doing the asphalt.  At any rate, my sandals were a mess, and we tried to clean them, but to no avail.  So we threw them out this morning.  And since I have only worn runners once this whole trip, I needed some new sandals.  So we went shopping.

We found some sandals much quicker than I thought we would, and so we needed to kill some time.  We went with Markos to a little place that had coffee, and each had 2 cups.  The coffee here tastes great, and I actually almost like it :).  After the coffee break, we headed over to "Oh Canada" restaurant to meet up with the Kruse's who are missionaries here in Ethiopia, and are on their way back to Canada for a bit of a home assignment.

We were a bit early, so we walked up and down the street for a few minutes with Eli, and he enjoyed it, and it probably tired him out more.  They arrived just before 6, and we had a great time of fellowship with their family.  It is great to meet up with people you know in a foreign country.  For those who do not know, I grew up just down the road from Mrs. Kruse.  It was a cool connection, and great to hear some of what they are doing here in Ethiopia.
Hanging out at "Oh Canada" Restaurant

Eli was a trooper this evening.  He hardly complained at all at the restaurant, but was absolutely zonked when we got back to the guesthouse.  He fell asleep inside of 5 minutes, and we hope that he will have a good solid night of sleep.
I think this boy was tired!

Thanks again to all that are praying for us, and communicating with us with support while we are here.  It is great to have that support.

7 comments:

  1. Great pics! Isn't it wonderful to look at your own sleeping child? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is adorable! Enjoying reading about your adventures and hope someday soon we'll have our adventure in ET! Would love to know where you are staying as well as driver contact info! Maybe a "tips for living in ET" when you return :-) Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am with another comment about how much I love pictures of Eli sleeping. :) I LOVE when kids fall asleep with their arm or arms around a stuffed animal. It's just so cozy-looking. He's just so very cute when he's so relaxed like that, with his hand open and his expression peaceful. I love it. Shel, maybe it's time for you to take a few more pictures of Hilary. I know that the men in our family aren't always the first to think a picture has to be taken...but we need to see more of her!!! :) And, those pictures will be precious when you look back at this time as well. Okay, now I'll stop being the annoying little sister. I hope you're sleeping peacefully by now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, what Alicia said re: Eli's cuteness & pics of Hilary & son! I just looked up "Ethiopian coffee" on Wikipedia, to find that most of the Ethiopian varieties have chocolate/spice/wine/citrus notes. Maybe you should purchase a little for you & Hilary to enjoy back home--if it's allowed through Canada customs, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're going to be coffee addicts by the time you come home, just you wait and see!!

    It seems as if Eli might be headed towards only one nap/day...I'm actually surprised he's still doing two! I think my oldest went to one nap around age 1 and then slept for 3 hours in the afternoon and for 12 hours at night. It's so much easier when they're down to one nap 'cause you can actually go out instead of having to revolve life around two naps! Anyway, it sounds like you had a great day, and what a treat to be able to spend time with someone you've known for so long already, especially in a place so far from home.

    Love, love, love seeing the pictures - you all look so relaxed! What a great bonding time for you, with life proceeding slowly while you're still there.

    Praying for you, and sending you hugs across the seas,

    Ruth

    PS. The kids are just about salivating at the prospect of Eli coming home. We got together today with two other adoptive families and I couldn't help but think that someday it might be your little guy also running around in the park with his big friends, born both here and in his land of origin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, I'm convince that Eli's grown since you've had him...seriously, his face is more filled out and I'm sure he's taller than just a couple of weeks ago. Must be all of that KD!!

    R

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, all that KD !! funny! But it is amazing how familiar foods are so comforting when overseas(except when you make a major flop by attempting perogies for the first time ever, while in a foreign country, then it just makes one miss mom, aunties and grandmas:P) AND seeing familiar people in a foreign country; soo wonderful and comforting! I wouldn't mind seeing a few more pics of Hilary too;).. but no worries, I've got pictures in my mind of her bustling about, and being one of the most organized moms, and enjoying all the playing and togetherness time the three of you have right now! I know it's not all fun and games, so I'm praying for strength in the tough moments, and a quick return!! love you guys!
    Love the red and white curtains at 'O Canada':)

    ReplyDelete