Tuesday, June 11, 2013

June 11, 2013 - The day we "celebrated" friends leaving....

Today, we woke up at normal times, and spent the morning just getting ready for our plans at 11:00.  Eli had a nap around 9:30, and slept till 10:45.  We were picked up just after 11:00 to head over to the orphanage where our friends adopted their son from.  There was to be a farewell ceremony for them, as they are leaving today.  It was a very nice ceremony.  There were two little song/dance numbers by two different age groups.  It was very cool to see how well they all worked together as they performed for our little gathering.  Once this was done, we spent some time running after the kids in the orphanage.  It was fun, other than the fact that both Hilary and I were not feeling very well.  I have what feels like a pinched nerve in my neck, and Hilary has been feeling ill with some sort of stomach issue.

Once the ceremony was done, we headed home.  Hilary and Eli went to sleep right away, but I had made arrangements for me to go to the barber with Arnie.  It was a cool experience, and I am now sporting a bit of a different look.  I'm not sure I ever paid to have my hair cut or beard trimmed (I suppose that Mom probably paid Auntie Florence to cut my hair, but I'm not counting that here), so that was fun.  We also had a great, short amount of time with some shoe shine boys at the barber shop.  These boys were/are a great inspiration to all of us.  The joy they show for the simplest things is something that I will remember for a long time.  We bought them some cokes, and had them shine our shoes.  As I left, it was hard to say goodbye to all of them, the shoe shine boys, and Arnie.

We will miss you, A,B&I.  We look forward to seeing you once again back in Canada.

Safe Travels, our friends.

For those wondering why there are no pictures lately, we have not been taking as many pictures.  As a result, we've got none to post.  Hopefully the pictures will resume shortly.

We received Elijah's passport today.  From what we understand, the travel visa will be applied for tomorrow, and sent off to Nairobi for processing.  Once we receive this visa, we will be able to travel home.  We do not know the exact processing time for this visa, but hope it won't take too long.  We are missing home very much these days!

1 comment:

  1. We miss you too! This journey you're on is amazing to follow. I understand though that you're missing home. I find it tough to be away for any length of time so I think about that and compound it with being so far away, for the length of time and the massive changes happening to your life. One of the comments in a previous blog that I think about almost everyday is that Eli refers to you as "Mommy & Daddy". Those must be the two most beautiful words for you to hear!

    Hope the visa comes quickly. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete